Community Living Dufferin (CLD) is a not for profit organization with a mission that enables people with an intellectual disability to achieve their fullest potential. Our dedicated staff helps to turn this mission into everyday reality as we believe that all people should have the opportunity to enjoy all aspects of community living, every day and in every way. Our team at Community Living Dufferin helps make this a reality for adults with intellectual disabilities and currently we are seeking Direct Support Professional’s to join our team in Orangeville!
Why work at CLD?
Working at Community Living Dufferin (CLD) will give you the chance to explore CLD from the inside. You will make a difference in the lives of people supported, while building the skills and experience that allows you to grow with us in a meaningful and rewarding way. We offer:
- Advancement opportunities
- Full time and Part time positions
- Opportunity to be meaningful and impactful with your work
- Competitive salary
- Training and other tools and resources for success
What is the position about?
The Direct Support Professional II (DSP II) role under the guidance of the adult services manager is to support people to plan for and live the lives they want in collaboration with co-workers, other programs and the person’s support circle. You will maintain a community-based approach to all aspects of support provided. You will work as part of the team in problem solving and ensuring the smooth operation of the home and support of people’s personal plans. You will provide support in an environment of accountability, rights and respect that is consistent with Community Living Dufferin’s Mission, Vision, Values, the strategic plan, FOCUS standards as well as relevant regulations/legislation.
What would you be required to do?
- Provide support and services as directed in the persons current Service Agreement.
- Attend to each person’s medical needs, specialist appointments and health related supports (diet/nutrition, exercise) and ensures accurate records are maintained.
- Actively participate in personal planning by attending/assisting in planning meetings, following through on supports as directed by the plan, and maintain accurate documentation.
- Encourage people to actively participate in their home and community and connect people to community resources/services as the priority in the planning process.
- Support people to be connected to family and friends as desired by the person.
- Support people in assessing risk and developing a plan to help keep them safe while being aware of personal safety issues in the process (e.g. first aid, community/street safety, prevention of exploitation or demeaning treatment and education around their sexual safety and abuse).
- Educate people supported in all areas as needed including healthy lifestyle (nutrition, diet, exercise), budgeting, parenting, medical and safety issues.
- Support people through the choices they make and educate them on their rights and responsibilities that accompany those choices.
- Support people to communicate in different ways so they can express themselves effectively (giving people a voice).
- Support people as required with life, community living and personal social/sexual skills.
- Assist people with purchasing items they require (groceries, clothing and assistive devices).
- Support people with money handling and budgeting skills.
- Support people with their personal care routines which may include but are not limited to bathing, feeding, toileting, dressing and other procedures that are deemed acts of daily living.
- Encourage people to actively participate in their home and community.
- Minimum high school diploma and 2 courses in the human services field.
- Experience working with people that have a developmental disability.
- Must have or obtain certificate in First Aid/CPR and Safe Management (SMG).
- Must be mature, self-motivated, reliable, flexible and demonstrate sound judgement.
- Must have a valid Ontario driver’s license, proof of insurance and a reliable vehicle.
- Must be able to provide satisfactory medical examination.
- Must have a clear criminal record check with vulnerable sector screening.
Job Rate starts at $21.24 per hour
We appreciate your interest in our organisation! Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Community Living Dufferin is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection and appointment processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to this process, please advise human resources if you need accommodation measures to be taken in order that you may be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.